In November 2017 Disabled People Against Cuts and Disabled People’s Organisations involved in the Reclaiming Our Futures Alliance held a national Independent Living Campaign conference. The aim of the day was to take stock of the key barriers to independent living that Disabled people who use adult social care services face and assess how far the situation has deteriorated in the last year but also to explore a shared vision for an independent living support system that can truly uphold our rights.
Below you can find notes and films from the day as well as copies of hand-outs and presentations.
Notes from the conference: Independent living campaign conference notes Nov 2017
Workshop on assessments and reviews:
Reading by Penny Pepper’s:
Workshop on campaigning for rights to independent living:
• Opening session – Ellen Clifford presentation: Slides – introduction , Mark Harrison presentation: IL Campaign Conf 25 Nov 2017 (1)
• Campaigning for the rights to independent living (2)
• Charging and Financial Assessment (1)
• Co-operative alternatives for personal assistance
Papers disseminated at the conference:
• NHS Continuing Healthcare Cost-Caps – Where we are with Warehousing – Fleur Perry warehousing update
• Social Care is Broken Beyond Repair – So what should replace it? – Peter Beresford and Mark Harrison examine the problems and potential solutions Harrison and Beresford LB final
• The need to campaign against institutionalisation – Simone Aspis Simone blog